Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Up!

What is cuter than an old men, a talking dog, a crazy bird and a boy scout?
Answer: Nothing! And that's why Up is the best movie ever!
I think I have a special connection with the movie Up, because of Carl's loss. I lost my Mom in 2006 after a very courageous battle with breast cancer. My Mom was my best friend. The theme in Up, that Carl and Ellie had a great life together...now go have an adventure of your own is the true essence of life. We will all have heart aches but we will move forward, remembering those people as we have new adventures and create new important friendships and bonds. I feel that way especially this time of year as my Mom's birthday is this week, she would have been 51. It makes me want to have adventures that she won't be able to have.
However, Dug the talking dog is probably the cutest thing ever...reminds me of someone one I know...
If Halle could talk, I'm 1000% sure she'd sound like Dug. "Oh Mommy, I love you feed me more biscuits!" (And Lord look at all that SNOW....remember that mess!!!)
So while I was in Disney this summer I managed to find a talking Dug stuffed animal for my classroom and some Up pins.
I also ordered some craft sticks from Amazon (dogs and cats, luckily my teaching neighbor Gail said she'd buy the cats off of me because I'm not using them). So now we all have Dug name sticks. I plan on letting the kiddos decorate these during the first couple days of school with Cayola markers (I may regret that idea).
My amazing sisters help me tweak my Up bulletin board idea. I made the banner in Swift Publisher (Mac Publisher) and I Google imaged the house and blew it up with the copier..that took a bit of work. I made balloon tracers, cut out the balloons and Viola! what a cute bulletin board if I do say so myself!
I also downloaded the Up Soundtrack from iTunes and will play it during writers workshop and silent reading time. I also have steel drum music that I play during these times too.
One of our class jobs this year will be to take home our stuffed animal Dug. I used to use a bear, but one of my teacher friend's daughters suggested sending him home! So Take Home Dug is my newest Job.
Finally I list my students alphabetically by first name, and next to each persons name I put a balloon, to continue with our balloon theme.

3 comments:

The Colorful Apple said...

Hi!
I'm a new follower! I think I was drawn to your blog; my name is Sara and my sister's name is Cait. Glad you survived the hurricane, we got hit pretty hard in RI too. Starting late (with no PD, etc) was definitely a challenge!

Sara
smilinginsecondgrade.blogspot.com

Learning with Mrs. Parker said...

This is so cute! I love it! Found you via Pinterest. :)

Unknown said...

I love your ideas. I am planning an UP themed room next year. I'm curious....did you do anything related to UP to post classroom jobs? Did you incorporate this theme in any other ways in your classroom? I'd love to hear your ideas! Thanks for sharing!