Monday, August 22, 2011

Meet the Teacher Monday

I've linked up to I'm a Blog Hopper to Participate in Teacher Week. A week long link party the only thing that could be better would be more summer vacation!!

Tell us a little something about you...
My name is Sarah Kate and I'm pretty new to teacher blogging. However, I would say I'm pretty into it now. I must mention the words "I saw on a teacher blog..." about a 100 times a day. I enjoy cooking, baking and crafting.
I have a terrier/lab/mut/Heinz 57 dog named Halle and she is love! I also have two younger sisters, one that just left for college in NYC this past weekend. It's weird that she's not around but I'm excited for her adventure!
How long have you been teaching?
I became a certified teacher in 2006 and got my first job that year. I did intern and student teach in 5th grade, but my "real" teaching job has been in second grade. I love second grade, it is awesome! Next week I will be entering my 6th year of teaching! How about this one, my Step Mom say to be me the other day," so starting year number four huh? crazy!" I said to her what two years did you miss??!!
You might not know...
I majored in American History with a concentrating in military history- can you explain to me how that ties into elementary curriculum? I have to say the little boys love talking war and tanks with me, so it's useful that way but it was certainly more to accommodate my love of learning not my job. I'd love to become certified as an upper grade social studies teacher but I heard the test is killer. I have 2 masters degrees but I've been thinking about going back to get a certificate in public history because that is truly my favorite part of history.
What are you looking most forward to this school year?
Truth be told, I'm not sure. Last year I had a rock star class, that just jelled so well, so I'm hoping whatever magic I dug up last year is lingering in the classroom for this year. I am also hosting a student teacher this year and I am so excited! Nervous but excited! I'm sure she's going to think I'm nuts as I'm emailing her DRA scores last night a week before school starts but, I'm excited and I hope it will be as successful as my student teaching.
What do you need to improve?
We use PLCs in our building and our team goal will be related to our district literacy which is Questioning the Author, focusing on Non-Fiction. So we will work on that but, as a personal goal we would like to work on math interventions a la Debbie Diller Math Stations.
What teaching supplies can you *not* live without?
Is a Smartboard a supply? I love my Smartboard. I love Google Earth on my Smartboard and my kids love it too! Good children's books are also supplies I can't live without because reading is SO important, how can I teach without good materials.

Be sure to head on over to Blog Hoppin, and link up to the party!

0 comments: