Sunday, July 17, 2011

HP







So this is my teaching blog, but today I must digress from teaching. Why? Harry Potter is the answer.

I have been reading the Harry Potter series since they came out when I was in college. I talk about it at school with my second graders, as some are reading the books with their parents as a read aloud and many have seen the first couple movies (I always cringe when they tell me they've seen the last few, because those are even scary to me!)

Today I went and saw the final movie. I cried. I literally sat in the movie theater crying. Not just because Harry misses his parents, and that they are always "right there with him". But because having read the series there is an emotional attachment to them. I was so moved but the whole story. It was certainly one of the best movies I've ever seen. It was the most visually engaging movie have seen. It was a constant "what will happen next" (even though I know, I've read the books!)Not to mention it grossed $168.55 million dollars this weekend,breaking box office records for single weekend opening and I'm sure for over all grossing.

I was sad to see it all come to an end today. But what a way to go.... they certainly went out on top, and with a bang.

And though I highly doubt J.K. Rowling needs anything in her life, certainly not any money. I think that we teachers owe her a bit of thanks for making reading exciting again. For breathing new life into something. Harry Potter became the Treasure Island for kids like my sister who are going off to college. They grew up on these books, and got lost in the adventure and certainly have lit the way for more engaged reader to come. So I say "After all this time? Always."




0 comments: